Manny Pacquiao steps up training regimefor upcoming Matthysse fight

Manny Pacquiao has started training for his bout against WBA World welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse on June 24 th in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia.

The fight has yet to be confirmed as promoter Bob Arum has said that the money required for the fight to take place has not come through.

“Matthysse is one of the guys that Manny is thinking about fighting. There are others,” Arum told

“The Malaysia part is up in the air. I don’t know these Malaysian people. If they put up the money, it’ll happen, happily. But do I know whether the money will be put up? No, I don’t,” Arum added.

Pacquiao’s representatives have yet to comment on what was said by Arum though they have claimed in the past that his contract with Top Rank has expired.

Pacquiao is confident that the fight will take place and has already started training. “I started early because my last fight was in July last year. My opponent is a reigning WBA champion so I must be in tip-top shape when I climb up the ring,” Pacquiao said to GMA News.

“I started doing just a light workout to boost my stamina, speed and power. Training at the boxing gym will begin in the middle of April.”

If the money does not come through, Pacquiao could be training for nothing. Pacquiao has a press-conference planned for April 4 in Manila and another planned for April 6.

Whether these conferences take place will ultimately come down to whether the money provided for the fight to take place is provided.

If Pacquiao does end up fighting Matthysse, it promises to be a great fight. Matthysse (39-4, 36 KO’s) is a big puncher and while the 39-year- old Pacquiao is no longer at prime, he is still an excellent boxer for someone of his age.

Pacquiao has not fought since July 2017 when he controversially lost to Australian Jeff Horn.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply