Australian welterweight champion Jeff Horn has revealed how he plans to handle himself when he faces off against Terrence Crawford later in the year.
Hornet is well aware that he faces a difficult task against the unbeaten American on April 14 at the Mandalay Bay casino, which is also his first prime time event on US soil.
However Horn has been working on a plan to defeat Crawford with coach Glenn Rushton during secret sparring sessions from which cameras are banned.
“The most dangerous thing about Crawford is that like Jeff he’s so changeable,’’ Rushton said. “He’ll be very elusive but once he tags you he goes in for the kill and becomes super aggressive.”
“Jeff can’t let Crawford land a big shot early because Crawford is an expert at seizing the moment and he becomes a monster. He has a 78 per cent KO record so he knows how to put his opponents away.’’
In addition to working with Rushton, Horn has also been preparing for the bout by sparring with local stars Dennis Hogan and Liam Paro during secret sessions and he is also set to soon start working with Paul Fleming and possibly with American Ray Robinson.
Horn will take away $2.5 million from the fight and he is expecting a tougher contest than his controversial points victory against Manny Pacquiao last year at the Suncorp Stadium in his home town of Brisbane, Australia.
“Some critics said Manny was old and he might have been at 39, but he was still a great champion,’’
Horn said. “This time me and Terence are exactly the same age, at 30, in our prime and I think it’s going to be a cracking fight. We’re both undefeated.”
“I’m world champion and I need the world to take notice. There are a lot of big fights ahead of me and if I keep winning and keep having these big fights against these massive names in the sport I could retire in probably three or four fights.”