Will Manny Pacquiao return for Mike Alvarado?
Philippine boxer and former welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is set for a comeback to the ring at age 39.
The charismatic fighter will not face a top 10 opponent as he looks to re-establish himself and it looks like his next challenge has already been lined up.
It appears that Mike Alvarado is next in line to face off against Pacquiao and when Bob Arum was asked about it, he did not deny it.
“Yeah, [Alvarado] is a possibility,” Arum told RingTV.com. “I’ve spoken to Manny and we’re working on getting him back in the ring in the spring.”
Fury calls out Shannon Briggs and Antonio Tarver
Tyson Fury has not fought since he defeated Wladimir Klitschko by unanimous decision in November 2015. Following his two-year absence Fury has already marked his next targets.
The 29-year-old was stripped off his Ring Magazine Heavyweight title on Thursday due to inactivity after failing to meet his deadline of announcing his comeback fight before 1st February.
Fury is however working on his comeback since linking up with new trainer Ben Davison and has issued challenges to 49-year-old Tarver and 46-year-old Briggs.
Fury took to Twitter on Friday and posted: “This is a message to Shannon ‘The Cannon’ Briggs. First of all, let’s go champ!
“Second of all I am going to send you a contract, get you signed up good and proper so you have got something to train for.
“Keep yourself in shape, get fit, pump a bit of iron and do a bit of sparring. You can even come and do a bit of training if you want. No problem. We will get it on.
“Let’s go champ! A contract is coming your way from me. Let’s go champ.”
Kellie Maloney defends Boxing’s use of Ring-card girls
Former Boxing promoter Kellie Maloney has criticized Formula 1 for discontinuing with the usage of female models at events while discouraging Boxing to follow suit amid pressure from feminists and far-left activists.
Despite walking away from the sport in 2012, Maloney believes that ring-card girls should not be removed because they are part of the tradition.
Maloney told Press Association Sport: “I once put on a show with the most scantily-clad ring card girls in history and I told the secretary of the Board if he didn’t like it he should go and stand at the back of the hall.
“I think the whole world’s gone mad. Of course it wouldn’t mean the end of boxing but it would be the end of an era. Certain people want to rule the world their way and they don’t care about personal choice.
“Where are we going to draw the line? Are we going to ban all promotions girls – girls handing out leaflets, girls serving coffee? Are we going to ban them getting in the ring and punching each other?”
Boxing event featuring MTK fighters cancelled
A Boxing event which was set to feature five fighters from MTK has been cancelled.
The event which was meant to take place in Dublin today (this Saturday) has been cancelled by the hotel as the promoters could not ensure that they had the appropriate insurance in place.
Due to the murders of Derek Hutch and Jason ‘Buda’ Molyneux recently as well as last weekends shooting at the National Boxing Stadium in Dublin, which injured a convicted criminal and a bystander, specialist units had been authorized to conduct surveillance at a number of areas, including at the boxing event which was set for today.
This would have marked the first time that MTK fighters were going to box in Dublin since the Regency Hotel attack in February 2016.
MTK was part-founded by Daniel Kinahan four years ago along with three businessman- none of whom are involved in criminal activities.
The business was sold last year and Kinahan is no longer involved.
Ring-card girls will not be scrapped: Hearn
Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has insisted that there are no plans to get rid of ring-card girls.
There is pressure on boxing to end the usage of ring-card girls by feminists and far-left movements.
Formula 1 as well as darts last week officially scrapped the use of female models, Hearn however feels that the use of models is part of the tradition of the sport of boxing.
He said: “The ring card girls have been a part of boxing history for many, many years.
“As far as I am aware, darts will still have dancers on stage performing, but the walk-on girls were not really necessary.
“From a boxing point of view, we want to keep the traditions of the sport going and in my opinion it has nothing to do with sexism or feminism.
“It is just a part of boxing and until we are told otherwise.”