Darcie Moran, Detroit Free Press
Published 8:41 p.m. ET March 26, 2020 | Updated 10:12 p.m. ET March 26, 2020
The emergency room, obstetrical services and curbside COVID-19 testing will halt at Beaumont Hospital in Wayne as system officials move to handle the high volume of novel coronavirus patients.
Beaumont Hospital in Wayne, at 33155 Annapolis St., will now take COVID-19 patients when other Beaumont Health system hospitals don’t have the capacity for them, according to a press release Thursday evening.
The health system was caring for 650 patients positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, as of 4 p.m. Thursday, according to the release. In addition, they were caring for more than 200 others with tests pending.
To accommodate the change, hospital officials will work to move as many patients as possible from the Wayne location, Mark Geary, a spokesman for the health system, said Thursday night.
“We will safely discharge as many patients as we can within the next 24 to 48 hours to the appropriate level of care and cohort our remaining non-COVID-19 patients,” he said.
Patients who need emergency care, including for COVID-19, are asked to go to the nearby Beaumont Canton Emergency Center, 7300 N. Canton Center Rd., or another hospital.
Obstetrical services patients will be contacted individually about next steps and will receive care at Beaumont Hospital, Dearborn, 18101 Oakwood Blvd., hospital officials said.
The goal is to make the Wayne location the overflow facility for when the other seven hospitals in the system are at capacity, Geary said. It was chosen for the level of expertise there, as well as its central location.
Additional staff, supplies and equipment will be sent to the Wayne hospital, said Beaumont Health Chief Operating Officer Carolyn Wilson in the release.
“When patients come to a Beaumont hospital to seek care for COVID-19, our physicians will assess them,” she said. “If the hospital does not have the capacity to care for the patient, we will transfer more COVID-19 patients to Beaumont Hospital, Wayne.”
Beaumont is also partnering with other hospital systems to move patients outside Beaumont for care as needed, an effort which began Wednesday.
The number of patients coming to Beaumont emergency rooms continues to grow rapidly, Beaumont Health CEO John Fox said in the release.
“This approach provides strong and focused care for our COVID-19 patients at Beaumont, Wayne, and reduces the pressure on our other seven hospitals,” Fox said.
Beaumont isn’t the only health system moving patients in response to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in the state.
The Henry Ford Health System has moved patients who don’t have the novel coronavirus from its hospital downtown to make additional room for COVID-19 patients, Bob Riney, president of healthcare operations and chief operating officer, previously told the Detroit Free Press.
Health systems are making a number of moves to address the onslaught of COVID-19 related need.
Fox previously called the pandemic “our worst nightmare.”
Read or Share this story: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/26/coronavirus-beaumont-hospital-wayne-closing-er/2922714001/